Friday, October 16, 2009

Kit Kats (キットカット)

I think pretty much everyone on the planet loves Kit Kats. They're crispy, chocolatey, small, delicious, easy to find and carry, and sharable. If you don't like Kit Kats, well... I'm sorry. Something is wrong with you. I'm not biased, I just think most people agree with me on this one.

So, imagine, if you will, one of the quintessential candies on this earth.

Part two to this wonderful equation is Japan: which is a land of extremes of course. All the proof you need is Ganguro girls:


GOODNESS that is a lot of makeup! If you took a photo of a geisha in negative is what I'm saying.

Thus, in the land of Japan, why would anyone ever stop at just one good thing? Why not make it EXTREME??

I imagine the conversation went like:
"Psh, Kit Kats are so BORING, why don't we try to hype up the flavor more?"

Modern Japanese candy production, then, has come to a point where, for any flavor of anything you can dream of, there exists a Kit Kat flavored like it.

When I say "any" ladies and gentlemen, I don't merely mean fruits and sweets. I mean even things that, to the unassuming observer, are grotesque and odd, and off-putting.

Seriously.... come now. A few flavors I've seen:

Rose

Lemon Vinegar

Soy Sauce

Why yes, this is very real. And very wild, even by most Japanese people's standards. But obviously someone is consuming them. Including myself. Wowwie.

Actually, for my own curiosity, a week into staying here I bought "Hokkaido Roasted Corn" flavored Kit Kats:

Despite what you may think... quite tasty.

So what have we learned today?

Er... not much. Japanese Kit Kats are crazy. But with an open mind, a lot of them end up being pretty delightful.

2 comments:

  1. Like I've said, I really want Caesar to get me some weird Kit Kats! They all sound so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the rose isn't too bad...

    I wonder whether it's just a gimmick though, all the wacky flavors...

    ReplyDelete