Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Legendary Culture Shock

Now, I expected this sort of thing, but not of such magnitude.

I should begin by explaining why there have been no entries for the last few too many days. The answer, hard to believe as it may be, is actually fairly simple.

I have no internet.

And when I say I have no internet, I don't mean just that my room has no internet, no no no.

Perhaps the most immediate culture shock of them all; there is a CRAZY lack of available internet in Japan. In my few days in Sapporo I only found only one single restaurant that has wifi, pardon the McDonald's which requires an iPhone to use. Snazzy.

This is an astounding revelation; because, by contrast, it seems these days in America that almost too many restaurants have Wifi, almost always free.

It seems then, that the actual use of internet in Japan via laptop seems drastically smaller than Americans. Aside from home internet use, there seems to be zero.

That is, unless you include the cellphone, but that's an entirely new phenomena I'm not going to get in to.

Alas, culture shock. Why doesn't this totally industrial nation have Wifi?? Waaaaaaah!

In other culture shock news: Men wearing Uggs.


Indeed, culture shock is vicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment