Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pre-culture-shock culture shock

We all know the story. Foreign guy goes to far away unknown place. Culture in this land is significantly different to him, and he freaks out. Culture shock.

But have we ever heard of it happening before the actual arrival in said country?

Welcome to my life folks.

I keep thinking ABOUT all the expected things I won't enjoy. Which is somewhat selfish I know; most people would kill for such an adventure.

For instance, my last meal :


Deep dish from Chicago. I'd be hard pressed to find a better pie in Japan.

Now this sounds TOTALLY outlandish. What sort of fool am I to dislike the obviously impossible variety of food that I crave in japan? If anything the styles of food and composition are in many ways BETTER than in the States. But I suppose we all have some favoritism.

But what all about high context issues you aren't fully capable of understanding? I 'unno mannnnn....

And let's not forget about clothes! Yikes! I doubt I'll fit anything I buy there!

Ehem, but let me compose myself.

I suppose the most of my worries comes from the unknown. There's always a level of uncertainty that I need to get used to in any traveling. Being comfortable with the unknown will help with enjoying my time abroad.

And soon... it won't be unknown anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment